Us humans do plenty to baffle our four legged companions; once a year we bring a tree into the house, whilst simultaneously trying to enforce a ‘no peeing in the house’ rule, and if that wasn’t confusing enough we then decorate it with brightly coloured ‘no you can’t have these’ balls. In fact, the only good things about this time is the availability of Hugo’s Pawtisserie’s Festive Gingerbread Treats!
And then, just as things return to normal, along comes something called EAT-STER?
At Easter, us humans like to torture our furry relatives, by leaving lots of unusual egg shaped balls around the house, just to be sniffed at. Not eaten. Just lusted after.
Whilst chocolate is a treat for our human senses, the forbidden goods, at first sniff, seem just as appealing to our canine friends, who don’t understand the concept of ‘off limits’ – which is exactly what chocolate should be for dogs at Easter time, and all year round – OFF LIMITS!
‘But whyyyyyy?’ drools Hugo, – How can it be bad when it smells soooooooo good?” Well, let me explain: Chocolate contains a component called theobromine. Theobromine is not a dog’s best friend. Whilst human kind can easily metabolize theobromine, dogs process it much more slowly, allowing it to build up to toxic levels in their system.
Now, let me tell you a story; Puppy Hugo (aged 6 months) was snuggled up on the sofa with his human, his human is happily crunching their way through something called an ‘Easter Egg’ – given to them for being a ‘good boy’ by someone called ‘Thornton.’ Hugo, growing frustrated at the lack of sharing, is drooling profusely. Hugo bides his time, waiting alert and eager eyed until his human goes to the room upstairs to make toilet. He seizes the chance to take what is rightfully his! The forbidden Easter Egg tastes so good and his puppy senses tingling, he is in ecstasy as he licks a hole right through the solid milk chocolate.
Now… Fortunately, as Hugo had no teeth at this time, he didn’t get far in his suicide mission and luckily, Hugo’s Dad was doing number ones, not allowing Hugo the much needed time for total destruction of the forbidden Easter Egg, .
I know what you’re thinking – how could Hugo’s Daddy be so silly? Well, that is a question new dog owners often ask themselves, and we can only hope that by writing this we are able to share the benefit of this experience to new puppy parents out there!
Fortunately this story has a happy ending, as after all, Hugo was fine. You see, a large dog can consume more chocolate than a small dog before suffering ill effects. A small amount of chocolate will probably only give your dog an upset stomach with vomiting or diarrhea, and in this case, Hugo had neither.
So, consider this a cautionary tale, as large amounts of theobromine can produce muscle tremors, seizures, irregular heartbeat, internal bleeding or a heart attack!
Humans, keep an eye on those creme eggs! And if you do notice one is missing, well, the onset of theobromine poisoning is usually marked by severe hyperactivity! If you need to consult your veterinarian right away as the usual treatment for chocolate poisoning is to induce vomiting within two hours of ingestion. Do not wait!
So, I’d like to finish by saying, it’s not all doom and gloom, Hugo can still take part in the Easter fun; many retailers now stock dog safe ‘chocolate’ products including Easter Eggs created specifically for dogs using ‘carob’ which is a chocolate substitute, that doesn’t contain theobromine.
Hugo’s Pawtisserie use this delicious and healthy carob in their Easter Treats ! You can order your dog a box of these handmade, gluten free treats for just £4.99 and they’ll even be personalised with your dog’s name! But be quick – Easter is nearly upon us!
Thanks for reading, enjoy your Easter break!